Monday, November 12, 2012

A Caffeinated Mind

My last post mentioned Mandy Patinkin. His voice is incredible! That got me to thinking about some of  my favorite songs I've heard him sing. That got me to thinking about Coffee in a Cardboard Cup, a song from a musical 70, Girls, 70. That got me to thinking about Starbucks and how much time I spend there catching my breath and sketching while running errands. It's a very different take on coffee in a cardboard cup than the one presented in the song.








That got me to thinking about the song's basic premise and I still think it's a good one.
"The trouble with the world today, it seems to me,
Is coffee in a cardboard cup.
The trouble with the affluent society
Is coffee in a cardboard cup.
No one's ever casual and nonchalant,
No one waits a minute in a restaurant,
No one wants a waitress passing pleasantries
Like "How're you, Miss?"
"How're you, Sir?"
"May I take your order please?"
The trouble with the world today is plain to see,
Is everything is hurry up.
It's rush it through, and don't be slow,
And BLT on rye to go,
With coffee (I think she said)
Coffee (I know she said)
Coffee in a cardboard cup."    70, Girls, 70

5 comments :

  1. Wonderful post! Love your sketches, especially the lady thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sketches, so true! What if people had to make their own coffee at home again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have my coffee in a mug, lots of different mugs... on Sunday mornings ( the only day I don't cook breakfast) my husband goes out and brings home a biscuit and coffee in a cardboard cup :-) The rest of the time, it's coffee in a mug that stays warm even when the coffee is gone.

    ReplyDelete