Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Looking East


Sunday the Urban Sketchers Chicago contingent met at the Art Institute. I decided to sketch in a section that I rarely explore – the Asian collection. I didn't get far! I was almost immediately fascinated by these ancient Chinese serrated axes and disks. I sketched them with a Tombow 4B pencil and added the color from memory at home. No disrespect intended but I would love to hang any of them on a cord to wear as a pendant. I sketched them as they are displayed - the six pieces in one wall case.


I moved on to discover these "tomb guardians" from  480-221 BC. Made of wood and about ten inches tall. Their bases are about two inches thick but their bodies in some areas are remarkably only about 1/4 inch thick, beautifully delicate and strong at the same time! This sketch was completed at the museum.

The Art Institute of Chicago allows only pencil sketching. I throughly enjoyed working with the Tombow 4B and feel of the pencil on the paper.  The directness of hand, tool and material made me feel a connection with the ancient sculptors. Both sketches were done in my Stillman & Birn Gamma Series sketchbook. There are two spreads left in the book. I've loved working in it, time to get another one!

No comments :

Post a Comment