Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Who Thinks of Summer in the City as Green?

North Sculpture Garden at the Art Institute of Chicago

It's been along time since I lost a sketchbook but… 

The sketchbook I've been using strictly for urban sketching is gone. I keep hoping I've only misplaced it but I've searched high and low with no success; it's time to move on. For awhile now I've been toying around with the idea of using a square format and working larger when on location. Monday was as good a time as any. 

This is an 8 x 8 Hand•Book I bought the last time I was in San Francisco. It's now been officially designated as my urban sketching book for USk sketch crawls and the Monday Sketch Group. It's a good way to keep a record of our outings. The Monday group met this week at the Art Institute and sketched in the north sculpture garden. We've had a lot of rain lately and also some real summer heat so there were few flowers to be seen but a million lush shades of green. For me the greens even overpowered the sculpture.

Lush greens, loud cicadas, dappled shade and sketching, despite not being thrilled with the sketch, I'll smile when I look back at this page.

2 comments :

  1. I hope you find your lost book. This one looks good though with the lovely green sketch. It's green season here as well, but it's our winter. Summers here are golden 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh NO!!! I'd be so sad if I lost a sketchbook, I've misplaced my Lamy Joy pen, it's been missing in action for over a week now… I've searched everywhere, twice I've gone to Gouletpens.com to buy a replacement… but I haven't given up on finding it… now what did I do with it?

    ReplyDelete